Saturday, April 25, 2009

This is fact not fiction, for the first time in years

An update on the K-State football team via the Kansas City Star:

The message is out.

Asked Tuesday during the Big 12 football coaches’ spring teleconference call how close Kansas State was to being where he hopes it will be, Bill Snyder was candid.

“I can’t see there from here,” he said.

He clarified.

“It’s a long ways away from where I would like for it to be for a lot of different reasons,” Snyder said. “It’s nothing that has anything to do with anything other than trying to get young people to accept responsibility to do the things we need to do and be able to practice with the same intent as their coaches.”


It is such a relief to hear the truth. During the seemingly interminable Prince administration, every year we'd get the same cheery story about national titles, conference championships, magical offenses. And every year, we'd get to November and lose every stinkin' single game. It's nice to hear the truth. I don't know why I take such comfort in reading these tiny little snippets of news about a season that is still 4 months away. But I do take great comfort in it. It is one of the only things that I truly care about, that can completely consume me, in the same way as it did before June 18th. There are so few things that I feel connected to anymore. It's as if (to use a Harry Potter analogy) all of those people and hobbies from before are just beyond the veil. I am forever cut off from them and getting them back would only be possible in a pre-June 18 world. Probably, to get them back in the same way would have to exist in a pre- March 17 world. It's not necessarily a depressing fact, but a real one. A constant sign of change and evolution that life forces us to make. I have new things to love. New people in life. But to have just one constant. To have the same thrill for football season as I had when I would eagerly cut out pictures from the Sunday morning Wichita Eagle. It makes me feel like we will all survive and someday.... get better.

1 comment:

Steven317 said...

I happy that something can be the same.