Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I think there's butter in my eye

Inglorious Basterds


Masterful storytelling. Captivating, strange and surprising. Brilliant use of the medium. Perfect performances (with maybe the exception of Diane Kruger - though I've been jaded since Troy). In short - bloody, brilliant, Tarantino fun. Go see it. Leave the kids at home, and maybe take off your glasses occasionally. You'll see it coming.
Everybody
Ingrid Michaelson's new album came out today! Go buy it, because she's releasing it on her own label. Or on her own, I'm not exactly sure how it works. If you buy it through iTunes it's only $7.99, but Target has it too - just not in the new releases. I hate that. Anyway, it's great, and if you're a fan, you'll enjoy having the unreleased stuff she does live, finally captured in CD form.

Work

Enrollment is hateful. Good news came just when needed however - the English Language Program is officially accredited for the next four years. Huzzah for job security! Steven and I celebrated by eating popcorn and candy for dinner. I love shirking dietary responsibilities. Also, Steven got a silly haircut at a place conveniently located next to the new thrift store in town - New 2 You. I found a kickin' recliner, but it was already sold. The place looks like your garage, packed to the brim and completely unorganized. But full of furniture, so if you're looking for a deal, the quality is much higher than Grand Ol Trunk. Give it a gander and support the locals. The store is also part of Steven's district, so let them know that you saw their ad in the Mercury - and then love me in your heart for the little white lie.

Cable


Steven and I have cable now. It's football season, and we both get real paychecks, so I justified the splurge. Cable + DVR is almost too much excitement. I seriously wake up every morning and run out to check and see what the DVR recorded that night. Every day is Christmas. I just realized yesterday that we also get cable on the TV in the bedroom. Duh. Though it does not have the super fantastic DVR capabilities, it does mean that I can watch football and Sportscenter in bed. Could there be anything better? It's hard enough to not call in sick to work when I know what's waiting, but adding a treat like this makes it nearly irresistible. If I ignore your calls, you know what I'm doing. I apologize in advance. (I seem to be doing that a lot lately.) The sickness will end in January. I promise.

Also, keep Michael Beasley in your thoughts. Everybody stumbles.


Advice

I have to read Brothers of Karamazov next. Have to is a bit harsh. But true. It's my next Russian, and I read the Guernsey Literary Society as my fun book and now it's down to business. Only problem is, Dad and Matthew keep scaring the crap out of me about it. What happens when I get to the party scene? How will I continue? Encouragement needed. Please.

It has come to my attention that there are certain places outside of work where sweat pants are unacceptable. Cruel world. That means I need to buy pants. That fit. I tried at Target tonight but they are all hideous and way too long. Any suggestions, curvy girls? Who makes pants that fit girls with hips without the dreaded muffin top facebook ad disaster? Am I too young for polyester pants? I think I know the answer to that. Related note - Golden Girls seasons are on sale for 8 bucks a pop at your local Target. If you're a fan, you could repay my kindness by buying me seasons 4 - 9 of ER. Guilty pleasures all around.

I thought I'd bookend today's post with pictures of pretty things. Happy Tuesday to all.

No guilt here. Just pleasure.

5 comments:

Steven317 said...

I love that I get the first read in usually. Bravo as usual. I'm not sure which party scene they're referring to. If it's the scene at the end before everyone figures out what has happened, you'll be so riveted to your seat you won't be able to put it down. Like I said, I read it in a week, but I am a strange one.

linda jean said...

i highly recommend dropping your copy of Karamazov in the toilet at the airport, fishing it out, letting it dry, and then reading that copy. It's a disgusting thing to do... and will let Fydor know that you are really committed.

linda jean said...

also, i do not know whether or bodies are of the same mold, but i defininitely qualify as curvy and the ANA brand at JC Penney's has been my favortie for a few years now.

Susan said...

Thanks for the tips, Linda! I'm reading Steven's copy, so I will do as much to it as a borrower is allowed.

Have you read it?

linda jean said...

yes... but it was an arduous process of starting, losing copies, quitting, etc. I read all of the Narnia chronicles as a break when the book got too weighty. I needed to go to an island where it was quiet and there was scant amounts of tv in order to finish it. worth reading for sure, but it wasn't an easy thing for me.