Monday, January 18, 2010

Deep Clean

I took advantage of my three day weekend (thanks MLK Jr.!) by getting the apartment clean clean clean before the Spring semester starts. I got all the Christmas presents put away, took down the tree, and got all of my important files organized instead of sitting in stacks on the floor. I'm hoping that this extra effort now will help with the inevitable stress that comes later when assignment deadlines start piling up. Currently I have all of my old music slowly moving it's way to my brand new 1TB external hard drive, and Keith Urban is entertaining all on today's episode of Ellen. A perfect afternoon.

However, there was one casualty one of the deep clean. In the past month, the DVD player has declared war on all of the silly TV on DVD marathons that I force it to supply for us. First it started screaming in this high pitched technical shriek. Then it refused to communicate with the TV screen. And then, as it's last stand - it refused to open. This would've been fine, as it was a $25 machine that was purchased when I was 19, but it refused to open with the second disc of Gilmore Girls season 3 held inside. Not cool. Not cool at all. Some of you know that I have the entire Gilmore Girls series on DVD, except for the last disc of season 5. Season 5 was the first season I received as a Christmas gift, and due to packaging error (or another person's faulty DVD player) the last disc never made it to the store. So I was not about to lose another disc if I could help it.

This is what Steven spent the second half of the K-State game doing.

You can see that the Gilmore Girls were rescued, and placed securely back in their package. I've had quite a lengthy discussion with our new Memorex about the importance of Lorelai and Rory in our home, and I think we're on the same page. We christened the new machine this weekend with a showing of 500 Days of Summer. Such a cute movie. Oh, and Betsy - there's choreographed singing and dancing. Check it out. Does anyone else think Joseph Gordon-Leavitt looks a little like Heath Ledger? (Or even, maybe, a teensy bit like Steven?) And the hipster outfits were perfection.



In other sad casualty news, two more businesses closed in Manhattan. Doe's Eat Place, the giant steakhouse right by our apartment will serve giant expensive beef no more. And the Candlewood location of Digital Shelf is gone after 5 years. If the other Digital Shelf closes I don't know what we'll do. Probably finally take advantage of our Netlix account. Which, by the way, is anyone else stoked about being able to stream your Netflix movies through the Wii? I have been whining for months about the lack of features on the Wii, and now this. It's perfect. We're watching Tootsie every night. But the Digital Shelf holds so many memories from the beginning of my relationship with Steven. During the semester that I was living back home in Garden, I took a trip to Manhattan and surprised Steven at work in Candlewood. We ordered chinese food and watched Joe vs. the Volcano and bantered with customers and had a great night. Whenever we wanted to rent cartoons or multiple seasons of ER, or embarrassing chick flicks, we would always go to the Candlewood location so that Steven's friends wouldn't mock him. Now, all our rental decisions will be subject to judgment. And if the Aggieville location doesn't have it, that means no one will. Stupid redbox, taking over the world.

4 comments:

betsyann said...

choreographed dancing? yes! Movies through the wii? How do you do that? I want to do that!

Steven317 said...

Candlewood...good times! I noticed that you didn't write about how the DVD player took half of a pinky finger off.

In the Mix said...

Susan, the guy who owns Digital shelf was recalled (?) for deployment. Daniel said he thought he was in the reserves or something. So I talked to him right before they closed and he said he just couldn't manage having both stores open if/when he's gone. So I think the other location is secure.
We saw 500 Days of Summer last weekend. I have to agree with the fun dance sequence and the great outfits and the upfront honesty from the beginning. :)

Oh, and also bummed about Doe's. Ridiculously huge steaks but the best I've ever had.

Susan said...

Betsy - Netflix through the Wii happens sometime in the Spring. When it's official, you'll be able to watch any of the "instant to your TV" movies through your Wii. So make sure to save up some couch projects come Spring.

Steven - It was not half your pinky. You don't even have a scar.

Sarah - Thanks for the info! Sorry to hear Scott got deployed, but I'm happy that the business isn't in trouble. Hopefully another fun restaurant will take over Doe's. Maybe even one that I can afford. :)