Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The beginning of the end

Here is my schedule for the first semester of my senior year.

Monday:

11:30- Realism and Sentimentalism in American Literature
5:30-8- Family Relationships & Gender Roles

Tuesday:

9:30-10:45- Professional Writing

Wednesday/Friday:

11:30- Realism and Sentimentalism in American Lit

Thursday:

9:30- Professional Writing
7-10- Adv. Fiction Writing

It is pretty much the best semester ever. I dropped Intro to creative non-fiction writing after the first day because it was a joke, and every annoying english major that I had ever encountered previously was in the class, so I got out quickly. Which turned out to be a blessing, because I discovered Professional Writing which will be much more beneficial.

Currently, for my lit class we're reading "Charlotte Temple." It's some of the most beautiful writing I've read in a long time.

"True, and painful as these feelings are, I would not exchange them for that torpor which the stoic mistakes for philosophy. Then let us, my friend, take the cup of life as it is presented to us, tempered by the hand of a wise Providence; be thankful for the good, be patient under the evil, and presume not to inquire why the latter predominates."

So many times in my stories, and in life, I have attempted to articulate that very argument, but never quite as clearly as that. It's a beautiful and heart wrenching book. I'm not sure if I recommend it yet, but I think it would be wise to make your daughters read it before they enter high school/college.

So far, this semester, I have rediscovered the joy of being an english major. Hailey has labs and has to study pages of notes and boring textbooks, and I get to read novels and write stories. I'm going to miss it.

Also, I'm already sick. Apparently my immune system isn't used to being on a schedule and staying productive. It's ridiculous. I am also still looking for a second job. Currently I have applied at People's Grocery, iTAC help desk, Dusty Bookshelf, Motel 6, Hastings, Stickel's Dry Cleaning, Four Olives, Hobby Lobby, Planet Sub and Curbside Recycling. You'd think that someone, eventually will call me back and offer me a job. Surely. I'm getting a little bit frustrated with all this free time.

2 comments:

lobiwan said...

1. You should apply at Chinese Chef
OR since your hair is black now, you could pretend to be an immigrant and get a job at El Cazador... to bad you didn't take Spanish class more seriously...
2. "learn about myself" Really?

Susan said...

Just seeing if you read to the very end. I'll edit now.