Wednesday, July 8, 2009

An update on things that are good

1. This week I lost a promotion but won a raise. Thanks, gov'nuh!

2. Elizabeth and the Catapult - Taller Children. Their first full-length album came out on June 9th and I didn't even know it! But thanks to iTunes, I got the whole thing for $6.99. Favorite tracks: "Taller Children", "Race You" and "Everybody Knows."


3. After watching Cabaret this weekend with the family, I finally broke down and asked Dad to send me a list of classic movies that I should've seen years ago. He sent me a list of 64 films and I promptly signed up for Netflix. So far this week we've seen Casablanca and Taxi Driver - back to back. It made for a very interesting evening. Tonight we're viewing On the Waterfront and Breakfast at Tiffany's. My goal is to watch as many as possible before classes start again on August 28th and I'll post reviews as I go along. If anyone has suggestions for classic movies to add to my queue, comment away!



4. Starbucks treat deals. In Manhattan, if you buy an iced coffee before 2, you can keep your receipt and bring it back after 2 to get any iced/blended/cold grande beverage for 2 bucks! It's the perfect excuse to splurge twice in one day.

5. Cherries. We've hit that holy grail of summer where, for one week, you can buy cherries at a non-absurd price. Yum.

5 comments:

betsyann said...

Breakfast at Tiffany's! You've not seen that???

That old movie...they remade it...with Denzel Washington?...c...or a number...I'll try to figure it out.

Susan said...

Manchurian Candidate?

betsyann said...

Yes! I just looked it up and came here to tell you.

Trinket said...

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner. My Dad made me sit down and watch that when I was a kid, (with good reason.) Oh, and if you like war movies, The Dirty Dozen.

Susan said...

Trinket - Thanks! I'll add both of those to my list!