Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Creative busywork


This is my picture of the day.

I also started working on my poetry project. The design part took about ten minutes. The computer part took seven hours. I still have no idea what it will look like when I pick it up from Wal-Mart. I was planning on posting a picture, but I got impatient. Instead, you can look at this nice picture that someone else took.

I also started digging through more old poetry. Eventually I'll shake this kick, but not yet. Here's one from Amy Fleury, poet and professor at Washburn University.

At Twenty Eight- Amy Fleury

It seems I get by on more luck than sense,

not the kind brought on by knuckle to wood,

breath on dice or pennies found in the mud.

I shimmy and slip by on pure fool chance.

At turns, charmed and cursed, a girl knows romance

as coffee, red wine, and books; solitude

she counts as daylight virtue and muted

evenings, the inventory of absence.

But this is no sorry spinster story,

just the way days string together a life.

Sometimes I eat soup right out of the pan.

Sometimes I don’t care if I will marry.

I dance in my kitchen on Friday nights,

singing like only a lucky girl can.



Current music discoveries: Lindsey Cook, Fionn Regan, and Sara Bareilles. Love love love.

3 comments:

betsyann said...

I like that poem too. Don't be in a hurry to quit posting them.

When does the picture come in? I'm excited.

Susan said...

the week that we're at the cabin. i'm so afraid it's going to be yucky.

Unknown said...

Fionn and Sara. yes!

and I'm going to start work on your first cd, instead of giving you more names.