Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Sunday funday

Every Sunday we shirk our class and work responsibilities and spend the day doing whatever we want. Last Sunday we slept in, missed church because of the stupid time change, ate sugar cereal in our pajamas, played tennis, ate greasy food and played trivia at Bobby T's, watched Citizen Kane and Milk and went to bed late. It was a perfect day of fun, and made it ever so much harder to re-join the working world on Monday. But this means that we have officially begun our quest to become more cinematically aware. We are starting at the top of AFI's top 100 movies list and working our way down. I was very surprised by Citizen Kane, having no idea about it except for witty asides the Gilmore Girls have made. On the whole, I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. I love watching classic movies because the whole world makes more sense after. It's like I've been going through life, collecting references that I had no idea were references. It's like getting my cultural sight back, one tiny piece at a time. This weekend we're watching The Godfather or Casablanca, depending on which AFI list we choose to follow.

Milk was the cheap movie at the union this weekend and I loved it. For some reason, the screen quality of the projector wasn't great, and they couldn't figure out how to turn off the English subtitles, but it made no difference. Sean Penn is so good about getting you to love him. I wish he would just act all the time, so that I could only know him as his characters. That's an odd thing to wish, and probably a little bit heartless, but he's just so good at being people other than himself. I wish I had never seen "Elephant", because it makes it really hard to love Gus Van Sant, but he did a remarkable job of shooting this movie. And Emile Hirsch! My little indie heart just beats and beats for him.

Then last night I forced Steven to watch "Rachel Getting Married" - the new Anne Hathaway movie that everyone had to love. It was fantastic. I don't know if the rest of the world shares my fascination with addiction, but I can't get enough. And Rachel's wedding is officially my new fantasy. If only I could turn Steven into an African American musician with loads of crazy varied musically talented friends. Hmmm....

That's what I've been watching lately. Next up is Happy Go Lucky and Vicky Cristina Barcelona. Reviews to come.

3 comments:

linda jean said...

Citizen Kane is as good as everyone says it is... I was getting into Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn movies before I turned French. It's so fun to have a senseless path to walk.

In the Mix said...

We just watched Happy go Lucky. I liked it.

In the Mix said...

Oh, and I was wrong about Daniel's preaching. He's back on this week the 22nd and will be teaching for a while after that. Oops.